Healthy Carrot Cake Smoothie for Weight Loss
Carrot cake is one of my favorite desserts. I even like telling myself how healthy I am for eating so many carrots. Now if only all the cake around those little carrot pieces could help me stay healthy and get fit! Until they come up with a tasty and actually good for you cake, this will have to suffice.
This healthy and delicious smoothie tastes more like a decadent dessert than a nutritious way to start the day. The sweetness of the orange and carrots are work well with the spices, while a spoonful of homemade coconut whipped cream serves as the perfect finishing touch.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Coconut Whipped Cream Ingredients:
1 13.5-oz. can coconut milk, chilled
1-2 T. maple syrup (optional)
1 t. orange zest (optional)
1 c. coconut milk
1 large banana, cut into chunks and frozen
2 large stalks celery, roughly chopped
1 large orange, peeled
4 large carrots, roughly chopped
¾ t. cinnamon
¾ t. ground allspice
½ t. ground nutmeg
4-6 ice cubes
Finely chopped walnuts
- Chill coconut milk in the fridge for several hours or overnight. To prepare, remove can from the refrigerator without shaking or turning and remove lid. Scoop out the solidified “cream” from the top of the can and transfer to a mixing bowl. Reserve remaining liquid coconut milk to use in smoothie.
- Add maple syrup and orange zest, if desired, to mixing bowl and blend until light and airy. Allow coconut cream to warm up slightly before blending if lumps persist. Cover and place bowl in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add the coconut milk and frozen banana to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth, around 30 seconds.
- Add celery, orange, carrots, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and ice cubes. Blend on high speed until completely combined and creamy, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into glasses and top with a scoop of coconut whipped cream. Garnish with a dash of cinnamon or finely chopped walnuts, if desired, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Recommendation: For best results, look for coconut milk that does not contain guar gum to make the whipped cream.